Makes grants to address the most serious social and environmental problems facing society, where risk capital, responsibly invested, may make a difference over time.
An independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950 to promote the progress of science.
King Saud University seeks to become a leader in educational and technological innovation, scientific discovery and creativity through fostering an atmosphere of intellectual inspiration and partnership for the prosperity of society.
The O'Donnell Foundation is devoted to building model programs to enhance the quality of education.
Beer's Law Lab
|“The thicker the glass, the darker the brew, the less the light that passes through.” Make colorful concentrated and dilute solutions and explore how much light they absorb and transmit using a virtual spectrophotometer!|
- Beer's law
Sample Learning Goals
- Describe the relationships between volume and amount of solute to solution concentration
- Explain qualitatively the relationship between solution color and concentration
- Predict and explain how solution concentration will change for adding or removing: water, solute, and/or solution
- Calculate the concentration of solutions in units of molarity (mol/L)
- Design a procedure for creating a solution of a given concentration
- Identify when a solution is saturated and predict how concentration will change for adding or removing: water, solute, and/or solution
- Describe the relationship between the solution concentration and the intensity of light that is absorbed/transmitted
- Describe the relationship between absorbance, molar absorptivity, path length, and concentration in Beer’s Law
- Predict how the intensity of light absorbed/transmitted will change with changes in solution type, solution concentration, container width, or light source, and explain why
Tips for Teachers
The teacher's guide (pdf) contains tips created by the PhET team.
|Beer's Law Lab - Guided Inquiry Activity||Susan Hendrickson, Julia Chamberlain||UG-Intro||Other||11/5/14|
|Investigation of a Solution’s Color (Qualitative and Quantitative) - Guided Inquiry Activity||Ted Clark, Julia Chamberlain||UG-Intro||Other||4/20/15|
|Beer's Law Warm-Up||Julia Chamberlain||UG-Intro
|Concentration and Beer's Law Investigation||Julia Chamberlain, Susan Hendrickson||HS
|PhET Sims Aligned to the Chemistry Curriculum||Julia Chamberlain||HS
|Beer의 법칙 사용지침서(User Manual)||이화국(Wha Kuk Lee)||Other||Other||5/1/13|
|Beer's Law Lab: Introduction to Beer's Law||Joel Barthel||HS
You can submit your own ideas and activities.
Sun Java 1.5.0_15 or later
OS 10.5 or later
Sun Java 1.5.0_19 or later
Sun Java 1.5.0_15 or later
|Design Team||Third-party Libraries||Thanks To|
English | العربية | Bosanski | 简体中文 | 正體中文 | Česky | Dansk | Nederlands | Eesti | Suomi | Français | Galego | ქართული | Deutsch | Ελληνικά | Magyar | Bahasa Indonesia | Italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | كوردي | Kurdî | Македонски | मराठी | Norsk bokmål | Norsk nynorsk | فارسی | Português | Português do Brasil | Română | Српски | Español | Español (Perú) | ไทย | Türkçe | Українська | Tiếng Việt
© 2015 University of Colorado. Some rights reserved.