PhET Offline Website Installer
The full PhET Offline Website Installer package installs a copy of the PhET website onto your computer. Once installed, you do not need to be connected to the Internet to view or run any of the simulations (as long as you have Java, Flash, and a web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer).
Java is included in the Windows download. Mac OS X users already have Java preinstalled. Linux users are recommended to find a suitable version for their system.
These installers of the PhET simulations are updated frequently. We suggest uninstalling your earlier versions before installing a new one. The installers were last updated on Sep 2, 2015 at 5:01:20 AM MDT.
- Download installer for Windows (includes Java) - 517 MB
- Download installer for Mac OS X - 505 MB
- Download installer for Linux - 502 MB
If you have an Internet connection that is too slow, we can send you a DVD-ROM with the full installation package. There are two installer DVD versions, one of which contains English-language teaching activities, whereas the other does not to reduce its size. Please specify which one you would prefer when contacting us.
Help & Troubleshooting
For assistance with installation and compatibility issues, please visit our troubleshooting and support page.
Our simulations require Java 1.5 or newer and Flash 9 or newer, both of which are available at no cost. If you don't have them on your computer or aren't sure about your versions, click here.
Creating an Installation DVD
You can create your own DVD for doing the full PhET installation on computers without Internet access. You will need a computer equipped with a DVD writer, a blank disk, and an Internet connection. Please contact PhET help with any questions.
Follow the instructions below:
- Download the PhET Distribution archive onto your computer:
- Extract the contents of the archive (on most operating systems, this is done by double-clicking the downloaded file).
- Copy all the files to the DVD-ROM.
- Please remember to periodically check for updated versions of the PhET simulations.