The O'Donnell Foundation is devoted to building model programs to enhance the quality of education.
Natural Selection Lab
- PhET Natural Selection.doc - 180 kB
|School / Organization||Granada Hills Charter High School|
|Title||Natural Selection Lab|
|Keywords||natural selection, pedigree|
Nominations for Gold Star
What do you think about this activity? How did you use it or change it for your class? Professionally constructive comments welcome.
- I'm going to try this activity in my class this week. I'm so glad that you uploaded it because I've been struggling to create some type of lab format to accompany the simulation. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to modify it, although I'm certain that I will change it slightly. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks! 11/03/29 Adrienne Jones
- I don't think the hypothesis should have the "because" part. You test one specific cause and effect relationship with a hypothesis. "If I change ____ in ___ specific way, I expect to see ____ change in ___ specific way." I tell my students to keep it simple and don't explain their choice using the word "because", because that is typically too hard to prove and would involve doing multiple experimentation. This is a slight modification to what you have, but overall good job. They can explain the because part in an analysis question. 12/01/25 Sarah Berard
- I like the because as it identifies their thinking or reasoning for the choices they have made. 12/02/16 Karen Dorsey
- I like the activity because the kids can explore different variables. I am limited in how I can implement it because the wolf population does not track with the rabbits in a "natural way" in that high rabbit populations do not trigger a high birthrate for the wolves. It looks to me as if the wolf population is a function (10-20%) of the CURRENT rabbit population, not the previous year's rabbit population. My thinking is that by uncoupling the rabbit = wolf food from wolf food from last season determines # of wolves born I can't seem to reach a carrying capacity. I've only played a bit with the simulation because I am not sure if I will implement it. 13/04/09 Kari Hansen
kredit :English | العربية | Bosanski | 简体中文 | 正體中文 | Česky | Dansk | Nederlands | Eesti | Suomi | Français | Galego | ქართული | Deutsch | Ελληνικά | Magyar | Bahasa Indonesia | Italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | كوردي | Kurdî | Македонски | मराठी | Norsk bokmål | Norsk nynorsk | فارسی | Português | Português do Brasil | Română | Српски | Español | Español (Perú) | ไทย | Türkçe | Українська | Tiếng Việt
© 2013 University of Colorado. Hak-Cipta Dilindungi Undang-Undang