We are launching our Basics series with the new States of Matter: Basics sim designed specifically for our middle-school audience. In this sim, students can heat, cool and compress atoms and molecules and watch as they change between solid, liquid and gas phases.
Learning goals that States of Matter: Basics addresses include:
- Describe characteristics of three states of matter: solid, liquid and gas.
- Predict how varying the temperature or pressure changes the behavior of particles.
- Compare particles in the three different phases.
- Explain freezing and melting with molecular level detail.
- Recognize that different substances have different properties, including melting, freezing and boiling temperatures.